This morning we made our way on foot through the streets of Seville to the Plaza de Espana and Maria Louisa Park. They were built for the 1929 international fair. The plaza is covered with beautiful tiles that represent every province of Spain. There is also a huge fountain in the middle. Restoration work is still in progress. The trees of the park provided a much cooler spot to walk on another hot day. It was a nice place to relax and spend time with the ducks by the pond.
On our way to the plaza and park we passed by Spencer’s school, the University of Seville.
After a short stroll by the river (on the shaded side of the street), we came to the Torre del Oro. It is called the “Golden Tower” because, when it was built, it was covered with golden tiles. It was built by the Arabs in the 13th century as part of the city’s fortification and was once the starting and ending point of all shipping to the “New World”. Overlooking the Guadalquivir River, it now houses a maritime museum and lookout.
On our way back to the hotel we came across a Flamenco dancer near the Alcazar, dancing for tips.